Stop # 1 The Station
The Station is our all-season main museum building, archives, office, and visitors’ entrance. A train derailment damaged the CPR station in Athalmer. This, the third Museum building, is today, the main display, office and meeting space, and houses the archives. The building had to be moved and rebuilt and required a lot of volunteer work and donations by the community. June 23, 1979, was the official opening of The Station.
Stop # 2 The Legion
The Windermere District Historical Society purchased The Legion Building from the School Board for $1.00. This was the second building on the museum land. It originally housed display cases donated by families of early-day settlers – Walkers, Soles, Watkins, Tegarts, McKays, Blakley’s and Clelands. The building was constructed as a memorial to the veterans of WW I.
Stop # 3 The Implement Shed
The Implement Shed honours agriculture. The building was moved onto its foundation and renovated in 1987
Stop # 3 Plus Brick Making
Brick making display
Stop # 4 The MIning Cabin
The fifth building – was the “Jim Dilworth cabin”, moved from Athalmer. It is called the Mining Cabin and its exhibits are all related to mining history.
Stop # 4 Plus Gold Rocker Box
Stop # 5 The Wagon Shed
The Wagon Shed was built by museum volunteers and Lion’s Club in 2007. The building houses the wagons in our collection and showcases the horse and wagon era in the valley.
Stop # 5 Plus The Chariot
Jim McKay donated his chariot, which was sponsored by Invermere Hardware, to the Museum in 2015. The chariot was painted and restored to its original state by painters Kurt Reichle and Hal Fleet in 2016.
Stop # 6 Brisco School House
The original Brisco Schoolhouse became the fourth building at the Museum. The School House was donated by the Mitchell family of Brisco.
Stop # 7 The Pioneer Cabin
The Pioneer Cabin was the first Museum building. The cabin was built in 1942 by Charles Crook on the Crook homestead in Kootenay National Park. It was one of several tourist cabins on the site. It now holds a display of many pioneer household items. The cabin was officially opened by MLA James Chabot, May 1965.
Stop # 8 The Ice House
The Ice HouseThis small, insulated building is the most recent addition to the museum complex. This building was used for domestic ice storage and was relocated from its original location on Tunnacliffe Flats, downtown Invermere
Stop # 8 Plus The Ore Car
Stop # 9 The Notary Building
A group of Calgary lawyers donated the Notary building to the Museum. This building was one of the original Athalmer buildings. It has two rooms – the back room is set up as an office and the front room is a typical general store.
Stop # 10 Blakley’s Cabin
This cabin is the 9th addition to the museum. The “Bungalow” was originally part of a rustic tourist resort located near the Radium Hot Springs pool in Kootenay National Park. Herb and Peggy owned and operated Blakley’s Bungalows from 1946 to 1976. The cabin was donated to the museum by the Blakley family and currently honours law enforcement in the valley.
Stop # 11 The Lord’s Cabin
The cabin is the 10th addition to the museum complex, moved from its original location adjacent to Kootenay National Park in Radium Hot Springs, donated by the Lord family.