Winter 2024 Hours
- We are open just one day a week, Saturday, from 10 AM to 4 PM
- You are welcome to our the grounds and see the outside displays at any time
- Admission by donation
Membership and Donations
We have a new tool that you can use to renew membership, join or make a donation to the Windermere District Historical Society. Annual membership is $20.00. Details on this new page Membership
Volunteer Opportunities at the Museum
The museum has many volunteer opportunities. If you have recently retired, or have moved to the valley, or just have an interest in valley communities and history – please call or drop into the museum to learn more from our volunteer coordinator! There are weekly jobs, winter jobs, summer jobs – join us for a few hours and do something new or something old!
As of March 11, 2022, B.C.’s indoor mask order was repealed. “Wearing masks in public indoor settings is not required by public health. Wearing a mask is a personal choice. It’s important that we respect the choices of people, businesses and one another.”
Windermere Valley Museum Pandemic Protocol (relaxed and evolving)
Visiting the Museum
- On arrival, please go to the main museum building (The Station) for any updates
- We will not be providing informal guided tours to large groups.
- If a group wishes to tour the museum, we will ask you to break up into smaller groups, maintain social distancing, and tour the buildings on your own.
- Through the summer, we will host a variety of fun, learning activities for family groups – drop-in, outside only, with social distancing, self-supervised – evolving as public health requires.
- The Windermere District Historical Society manages the archives to to ensure health safety for our staff, volunteers, and researchers. More information here.
- We will clean each building often.
- Please do not touch the artifacts as cleaning may not be possible and may damage fragile items.
- The washrooms will be cleaned frequently. The main floor washroom is for visitors only and our basement washroom is for staff and volunteers.
Health and Safety
- Hand sanitizer is available
- And, please, stay home when you are unwell
Please call (250) 342-9769 or write to [email protected] to learn more about our evolving COVID response.
Admission by donation
About the Windermere Valley Museum
Visit soon to explore heritage buildings, view outside exhibits and enjoy grassy shaded grounds with beautiful views of Windermere Lake, the Columbia River and mountains beyond. It is fun and rewarding to volunteer at the museum. Think about it!!
In these pages, you will find information about our museum and the local area to help plan your visit. Enjoy photos of the heritage buildings and exhibits, and read about our programs, events, and special exhibits. Learn about our archives, about the services we provide, and how you can join us and participate.
The Windermere District Historical Society works through the year receiving new artifacts, improving the archives and photo collections, creating new exhibits, maintaining facilities, publishing newsletters, and more. Check back often to keep up with programs, news, and changes at the Windermere Valley Museum and Archives!